Thursday, August 03, 2006

Let The Games Begin

I’ll be taking an additional role in the next couple of weeks. It’s an interim role until they find someone who could permanently back fill the position. Well, I don’t expect any “back filling activity” to happen any time soon. My concerns: I have less than 3 weeks to get on board with my new role. Less than 3 fucking weeks. A week after that, I’ll have my first report-out in front the factory’s department managers. Training for this new role usually takes 2-3 months.

3 weeks to understand 2 completely new systems. 3 weeks of overtime at the office (since Tin needs to work in the morning and train me in the afternoon). I’m chained to my desk in 3 weeks. In the third week, I’ll be doing half the analysis (I guess). Our group “motto” is “Endless opportunities and fun!” Where’s the fun in that?

A couple of my office mates told me that this is great exposure since I’ll be presenting in front of department managers and MrT, our new factory manager. Good experience since I would need this when I plan to be the next EIT IE. They told me that I can do it since I’ve been working for more than 2 years and that I was able to get on board with my first role in a month. Exposure = check. Experience = Check. Doability = check. Sleep = N/A. There goes my so-called social life.

“As if I have a choice.” That phrase kept on running in my head in different tones and voices. Come to think of it, I do have a say on these. So here’s the gameplan.

1 – Drop all of my ongoing projects/activities. Well, maybe I’ll keep 2 big projects. I’m not the type of person who will let others to finish a job. Hard part about this is that I’m sure my customers won’t be happy about it. Well, who said that our workplace is a freaking McDonald’s party place? I’m in Alcatraz less that smelly urinals.
2 – Tell my boss that there will be repercussions once I get on board with my additional role. Need to finalize if there will be a replacement for the job or for the job that I’ll be temporarily leaving. If no replacements will be hired, I will drop the new role and get back to what was planned.
3 – Get full back-up support during my first presentation. They don’t want me freaking out in front of the managers. I can be such a mean bastard. They might need to put me in a straight jacket.
4 – Overtime pay is a must. I never file my overtime pay when I have to work at home. Now, every minute counts.
5 - If there are no replacements and if I need to work twice as much, I’ll ask for a salary increase. Though the probability of this happening is close to 0, it’s a deal or no deal if I need to work twice as much.

I’m still keeping a 50% positive outlook with my job. The other 50%? A well deserved spa after my first report out.

Well, at least, twice a month, I have reasons why I need to wear my formal business clothes. I’m already thinking what to wear in my first report out. Should I wear my pink signature polo or my black “call-boy” striped polo? Oh, and I need new shoes. Prada? Hmmm… I’m the devil bastard who wears black leather Prada shoes? Nice.

Or maybe I’ll wear my “buck fuddy” shirt.

8 songs that goes with this post

01 Mark McAdam - Too Hard
02 Mark Joseph - Get Through
03 Merrick - Infinity
04 The Delgados - I Fought The Angels
05 Roisin Murphy - Night Of The Dancing Flame
06 Travis - Safe
07 Soft Pillow Kisses - Vodka Ice #1
08 Candyaudioline - Better View

Songs 06-08 from Tomatotoes. Nice songs Selena! :)

No comments: