Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Emperor's New Clothes

I wonder why people are attracted to flesh? If one will look at it objectively, skin is skin, flesh is flesh, bone is bone. And yet, people are so obsessed over them.

What makes the smoothness of the skin attractive? What makes the redness of the lips so appealing? What is it about the general goodness of the body that makes us all fools for it?

Does it somehow give us grounds for exploration? Maybe when exploring someone else, it gives us a sense of fulfillment, a sort of conquest. Perhaps it's a primal need to "own" or to "take over" another being to make us feel superior, like winning a trophy.

On the other hand, there are those who prefer to be on the receiving end of the said "conquest". Maybe it is a form of flattery that someone would make an effort to win them over; that their bodies were enticing enough to be regarded as a prize for their "conquerors".

Either way, it shows how human beings need or at the very least, want to be with other people, regardless of the depth or shallowness of this need or want, though I don't mean to imply that physical attraction is shallow. I believe that even that has its own significant purpose. The human body is a superficial thing, at least that's how most of us are led to view it. Still, we can't deny that a great part of our minds, hearts and own bodies are held by the yearning for it.



Currently Listening to: (download them too!)
Beyonce - DeJa Vu MP3 (New Single!)
Rivermaya - 241 MP3 (Hot Track!)*
Michaelangelo - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover MP3
The Killers - Mr. Brightside MP3
INXS - Pretty Vegas MP3
The 88 - Hide Another Mistake MP3
Nine Black Alps - Unsatisfied MP3

241 is not the same as Rivermaya's 214 (with Bamboo).

"I wanted to turn you on
My favorite song.
Wanted to be near you
But somebody owns you now."


1 comment:

Momel said...

Hey you!

First off, I never had the chance to thank you for rolling me. Thanks, and thanks for mentioning me too in one of your posts.

I am reading your blog. And I like most of your posts. Of course, minus the poems since I just don't get poems if my life depended on it.

I share your angst toward the father-figure.

I feel for the Bright Eyes song. Yung Lover that I dont have to love. Or something like that. I'm in a situation which calls for the song. Thanks for sharing that.

And why am I putting all that in this post in particular? Well, I love skin art. And you won't catch me doing comments on poems. So there.

Welcome to my roll. And hey, CHEERS!